Wednesday, July 17, 2002

Bird Spam

Well, it was bound to happen sometime, I suppose. I’ve been too cheap to subscribe to a reputable email provider. Instead, I’ve been putting up with Hotmail and all the spam that comes with it. In all fairness, I have to say that the Hotmail service has been quite reliable; I have no complaints there. I’ve simply come to accept that I’m going to receive a daily load of spam that I have to delete before I can attend to the messages of consequence. Today, one email caught my attention. It professed to be from the Bird Watch Corp and the Subject line read: Feed the Birds not the Squirrels! I opened it. And then read the following:

Have a Ball Watching Squirrels Try to Outwit this Birdfeeder! THE DEFENDER Birdfeeder. Made of STAINLESS STEEL With a LIFETIME WARRANTY!

A Google search for “defender birdfeeder” revealed no legitimate Web site, just rantings from someone else who had received this same spam message. Why am I not surprised?

 

The FatBirder's Nest
FatBirder Web Ring