Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Birds of the World Online

Frank Gill and Mintern Minturn Wright’s Birds of the world: recommended English names (2006), produced on behalf of the International Ornithological Committee “to promote the use of a standard set of English names of the birds of the world,” is available in an online version. The Website includes downloadable Excel files of the lists; corrections and updates to the list (Version 1.0); and reviews (including links to blog posts), adoptions, and suggestions for improvement. The authors are also soliciting constructive feedback via email. I reviewed the hardcopy version of this book here.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bevson said...

I think a standard set of English names is a fabulous idea. Having travelled in other countries, it is a pain to have to cross-reference all of the birds by Latin name, especially Europe and even Latin America. I applaud this effort. Of course, I have already done this in my existing books. sigh. But, I am sure I will need to purchase yet more books.

May 04, 2007 8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 

The FatBirder's Nest
FatBirder Web Ring